Saturday, August 14, 2010

An ode to Glacier National Park: Part I

WE MADE IT TO THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS!!!! After so many long days of nothingness we finally reached the mountains and I can't believe it!! We all woke up in Cutbank, MT knowing that we were going to have an epic day reaching the park. What we didn't know was that it was going to be freezing rain when we woke up at 5:00am to start riding - no fun. I would like to take a moment to pause and thank Kyle for giving me some of his warm clothing (because I wasn't entirely prepared...shocker, I know!) without which I don't believe I would be here today. THANKSSS!!! Anywho - so we start riding in the pouring, freezing rain and it takes me about 10 miles to realize I can't feel my feet or hands and that this ride is awful. What was worse was that I felt like I was the only one that was THAT cold...everyone else seemed to be able to overcome the chillyness and still enjoy themselves on the ride (not the case with me and it made me SO jealous!). It was a 72 mile ride from Cutbank to Glacier National Park and when I finally rolled into lunch at mile 40 I knew I couldn't possibly continue the ride. I felt sick, cold and defeated. I rode into lunch, tossed my bike on the ground and announced to Denis (the leader that was driving the van) that I would be joining him in Elvis (the van) for the rest of the day. I think he could tell how frustrated and miserable I was because he immediately comforted me and even offered up a spot in a car for the rest of lunch so I didn't have to stand outside in the pouring rain with everyone else. I sat in the car for a good hour before the last big group of B&Bers arrived. They were cold, but spirits were high and it was absolutely infectious! Liz was in that group and tapped on the car window when she saw what a Debbie downer I was being and our lip reading conversation went a little something like this...

Liz: what are you doing???!
me: I'm vanning...I don't feel good :(
Liz: you can do this! you're going to regret it if you don't ride
me: I don't feel good, I'm cold (while shaking my head)
Liz: (sassy look) it's all mental, you'll regret this!
me: pouting face
Liz: you can do this, we'll ride together :)

Within five minutes a combination of Liz's determination and persisitency, and my extreme FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) made me change my mind and finish out the day! I jumped out of the car just as the clouds broke (only for a minute or two!) and I hopped back on my bike and told Lize we had to go NOW or I wouldn't go at all! I can't thank Liz enough for giving me the final push to get off of my rear and suck it up! The ride into Glacier was cold and wet, but one of the most beautiful things I have EVER seen! I can't explain how happy I am that I didn't ride in the van because I would have never been able to appreciate it in the same way. We did a lot of climbing (which kept us warm! sort of...) and the scenery and downhills made it all worth it! We finished the ride with a long, tough climb that was followed by a 5 mile downhill right into St. Marys (a cute little town right at the entrance of the park and also the home to our campground!). When we got to St. Marys I was crying (because it was beautiful and because I was freezing still) and hungry but also happy as a clam! I was so proud of myself! We all immediately bought winter hats, gloves and hand warmers to shove in our sleeping bags that night and went to the local cafe for hot choclate and warm food! It was a long day, but oh so worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment