Saturday, July 3, 2010

Who knew I could ride a bike 90 miles in one day?

Hello All!

I'm currently sitting in the dorms of RIT in Rochester, NY enjoying an unexpected "build day" turned "day off"! Yesterday was the longest ride of the trip so far...and I was NERVOUS! I woke up with butterflies in my stomach just thinking about riding 88 miles in one day. I started the day off with a little knee pain, but nothing too bad. We ended eating lunch early (mile 35) and had a FEAST thanks to Kira's mom (THANK YOU THANK YOU the ham sandwiches were DELISH). I tried to eat fast and get on the road early because I knew I had a long day ahead of me...it was really messing with my head that we weren't even halfway done with the day. I started off with Tony, Steven and Chris and was having a SUPER hard time. My knee started to hurt a lot, there were some hills I was NOT expecting and I started to get really frustrated. Needless to say, during miles 35-45 I was wondering what the heck I was thinking doing this darn trip and why in Gods green earth they would schedule such an early lunch on a long day etc...(feel free to replace with some choice words). Eventually I broke away from the boys and started riding on my own for the first time of the trip. I've tried to avoid it because A) I don't really like being alone...like ever B) I was SUPER scared of getting lost C) it's kind of scary riding alone in a rural, unfamiliar setting BUTTT I bucked up and set off on my own!! I was a little nervous at first, but after a few miles I really started enjoying myself! The scenery was beautiful (upstate NY really reminds me of parts of WI) and I was having a great time solo!! I had a lot of time to think, sang a few songs to myself (outloud of course) and enjoyed going through a bunch of cute towns. I must admit I was very proud of myself and it felt great to do something I was a little uneasy about. I finished the ride with a group of other people including two B&Bers from last year! It was awesome! We did get lost though, and 88 miles turned into an even 90 (I know 2 miles doesn't seem like a lot...but it sure felt like a lot then).

One of the things I've learned about B&B is that once you do it, you're in for LIFE! People from different routes get to know eachother really well and share experiences and great stories/games...it is just the coolest thing! It's such a great network and I'm so excited to meet as many other B&Bers as I can! Special shoutout to Xtina and Jenna from B2SB 09 :) Love you girls! Thanks for skittles and BBQ!!

Another special shoutout to the people from Boonsville, NY at the Methodist church, especially Chelsi and family :) They were the nicest people and biggest helpers in the world! I had so much fun spending time from people in the community and getting to know everyone...not to mention they provided some of the most delicious food we've had to date! Thank you thank you!!!

I can't believe how fast the trip is going!! Tommorrow we have a shorter ride (yes, I officially consider less than 60 miles short), then we'll had a super short ride to Niagara Falls!!! :)

ANOTHER special shoutout to my amazing mom for sending me the most outrageously fantastic 4th of July package EVER :) :) I have a history of decorating my bike for the 4th of July (my favorite day of the calendar year) and she sent me all of the essentials to do so....even when I'm across the country!! I can't think of anything more American than riding across the country decked out in red white and blue (with a flag coming out of my backpack)...sooo excited!! Thank you, I love you!!!! Many many pictures will be taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment