Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Get me off of New York Hwy 28

Hello all! The past few days I've been in upstate New York without any means of communication whatsoever with the outside world. We haven't had internet for a few days and yesterday we were in Indian Lake which had ZERO cell service for all cell phone providers (instead of Verizon always kicking AT&T butt). I also did not have any cell service because I no longer have a working cell phone due to an outrageous rain storm I encountered while trying to climb a mountain in Vermont...typical.

Here is what's been going on the past couple of days:
1. We have officially started climbing our third mountain range (HOW CRAZY IS THAT? Green, White and Blue ranges of the Adriondacks!)
2. I climbed up Bethel Mountain which is the hardest climb of the East coast...GREAT day!!
3. In Silver Bay, NY we were surprised with a special treat in the form of staying in a YMCA with BEDS for ALL OF US!!! It was an amazing day...we all jumped in the lake and some of us even square danced (including me of course)
4. Today we had our longest ride (and my longest ride individually) with 76 miles into Boonsville, NY - it was VERY hard and my knees are killing me but it was totally worth it and felt SO COOL to complete!!
5. Everyone that thought I would come back from B&B super skinny will be sadly disappointed...I think I'm averaging somewhere around 4000 calories a day which includes daily ice cream/brownies, TOO much pasta, salad and anything else on the side of the highway that claims to be the "worlds best" of something
6. There is a root beer float challenge on my trip...a few of the boys are already up to 6 rootbeer floats in 3 days - I'm impressed
7. I had a few bike problems and one of the guys on my trip (Sam) fixed it for me until I get to a town with a bike shop...THANK YOU SAM I LOVE YOU!!
8. Last night we had a group meeting where we just talked about how the trip has been going...it was amazing and I almost cried like 34043094 times
9. I LOVE MY TRIP!!! We are all falling in love more and more each day :)
10. This blog name comes from the cue sheet we got this morning...it went a little something like this
-turn Left out of church (go .4 miles)
-go South on Hwy 28 (go 65.5 miles) --------- I was VERY sick of that road after a while :)
11. We had our first serious accident of the trip in Silver Bay...two girls on the trip (Jess and Beth) collided and were unable the ride the next day. It was super scary but they're both doing really well now and both rode today! We were all so worried but glad to have them back :) LOVE YOU GIRLS!
12. A B&B prom AND B&B talent show are in the works for the west coast...I'm VERY excited :)

That's all I have for now...I'm hoping to have more internet in the next few days to update with more details!

<3 Kate

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kate,

    Chelsi cried when you left...She really enjoyed hanging with you... Crystal printed out your profile so she has a picture of you hanging on her wall next to her bed now... Have a safe trip..will be keeping up with you on your blog..

    The Efflands (Boonville, NY)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate - I'm showing Gramps how to comment on your blog

    ReplyDelete