Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tomorrow, tomorrow...I love ya tomorrow you're only a DAYYYYYYY AAAWWAYYYYY!!!!!

So, evidently I'm not very good at blogging on a regular basis (here's to hoping that will change over the next few months) so I'm going to update you all via bullet points because so much is happening/has happened I can't even think straight!!!! Shocker, I know! :)
  • tomorrow marks the first day of the epic life changing Terry/Kolste sibling road-trip to the east coast (Minneapolis, MN to Portsmouth, NH nonstop...that's right) I'm SOOOO excited for snacks, sweets and treats, many many games, singing, and reading books aloud with three of my most favorite people in the entire world. I can't think of a better way to start my Bike and Build experience! Pic-lines included!!!!!
  • I've hit all of the B&B prerequisites for starting a trip...fund-raise $4,000 - check! train over 500 miles - check! and go on at least one 65+ mile ride - CHECK!! which leads me to my next bullet point...
  • a few weekends ago my mother and I successfully rode our bikes from Janesville to Milwaukee!!!!! Just under 70 miles :) This was just one of those experiences I'll remember forever. It felt so amazing to accomplish such a difficult task, the ride was absolutely GORGEOUS and quite hilly which made it all the more exciting. I also got to do it with my best friend and we could not have had more fun :) it was awesome - Mom, I LOVE YOU!!! and you are a ROCKSTAR!
  • Previous to this ride I had a not so amazing ride with my really good friend Max (B2SB) which involves 90+ degree weather, a noon start, 80 miles (only 30 of which were completed), 2 broken Cateyes, an unexpected (or maybe totally expected?) pick up from Patrick in the middle of rural WI and too much drinking in the days prior. I prefer to not think of this ride and am trying to erase it from my memory but lesson learned: biking on country roads is tough stuff and you probably shouldn't try in the conditions listed earlier.
  • I finished packing TONIGHT and let me tell you, I think my bin is extra-amazing. Many thanks to Ali and Deb Kolste for all of their tips and tricks (and visits to Ace Hardware!).
  • I went on a 30 mile ride with my Grandpa this past week! It was so much fun and I hope I'm half as strong as him when I'm his age! 75 years old and he can still kick my butt when going into the wind :)
  • Terry/Hamilton family Janesville BBQ on JULY 17th at my Dads house (Columbus Circle)....yayyyy!!!!
  • My bike has an "I love America" theme and is covered in red, white and blue....I just bought an American flag bandana today - I'm thinking her name will have to be something like "lady liberty"/"freedom" or something equally patriotic....
  • My partner Jillian is a complete rockstar and we have the most amazing presentation and I've already called her while having a panic attack in REI - all in all, if the rest of my group is half as cool as her, I'm good to go!
  • I think that's it....? Next time I write it will be from the east coast :) :) :) baaaahhhhhhh I can't believe it's finally here! yay yay yay!!!
<3>

4 comments:

  1. Oh kate....this makes me beam with pride and joy as I can picture your little butt pedaling along hung over! HA HA. Your excitement is contagious and makes me think of all the memory making and life changing things that were happening last year at this time while I was abroad.... please show the world how much Kate Terry rocks and keep that smile on your face ( even in dire heat) and continue to impact people's lives like you did mine! Love ya girlfriend.

    ~Emily Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect you to have memorized "Proud to Be an American" by the time you've completed your trek across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Write all of this down and publish a book already! I hope you are having so much fun, I MISS YOU. And you should volunteer to orienteer, during this trip because as Sevilla proved you are a rock star with maps and directions. Love, Janey.

    P.S. Bike to Colorado. P.P.S I hope my second rotation is in Orlando then we can live at Hogwarts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate, I keep trying to get through to you with no success - I wanted to let you know that once you finish that first week - you will shock at the amount of new stamina that will come in the following week - once seem like a long 50 miles will now become as an acceptable fairly short ride. May the wind be always at your back - Love Gramps

    ReplyDelete